In the Midst of ...
I was not given a choice of rejecting this project. When B approached me to take on this project, I told him,"But I'm having my ROM soon, I might need to take leaves to settle my stuff." B just merely replied,"Congrats on your ROM. But you will still need to handle it."
So I did. And I felt almost glad that I did. This is my second time doing a catalogue, the first was a simple one for the website and was a minor project compared to this. This project gives me something new to do. 5 major catalogues need to be rushed out by end Sept for the Frankfurt Book Fair. Some of our books were published way before I was even in this company. Editors have left and no one knows what are their USPs anymore. I was forced to find out for myself. I still dislike B's approach towards work. But I have grown to pity him and am trying to help him as much as possible.
I bit my inner cheek and held back my retort when B commented that he want to change the layout of the catalogue.
"But during our meeting with sales and editorial, we have decided together that the layout is to be in this manner," I said.
"I know. Haiyah. But still I feel it's very messy," he said, taking out his hankerchief to mop his forehead. "Arghh! Hai...Do you think you can work it out in the new format? We'll send for print next week."
Hello, B. This is the 3rd time you have seen this and we are sending for print in the afternoon. Now then you tell me to change this and it's Friday plus we have a long weekend ahead.
B really looks like he is about to cry. I saw how his write-up on the USPs was shot down by my DGM. He has been sighing non-stop these days. My heart just goes out to him. Every retort flew out of my mind and I just worked. I know how it feels when you don't see eye-to-eye with your boss. But she did have a point and B told me to learn from her as well.
Together with the designers and my copywriter, we toiled all night. Colleagues who stayed long in this company told me that "Doing the catalogue is a taboo for all Marketing ppl. Normally, they left after the project is done." I hope the team is strong enough to survive this.
My sup bought tea-time snacks for me while I was running around the office and left it on my desk. Felt really touched. Though she's not in this project, she has tried to show her support. B also told me to go kick-boxing on Thursday nite to take a break. Actually, things are not that bad for me. Just learning from the experienced, accepting constructive criticism and getting to see another side of colleagues.
In the midst of everything, I managed to have a short dinner date with Ba on a weekday nite. Weekends were spent planning for ROM, next year's wedding dinner and also our upcoming trip to Phuket. Really looking forward to them, esp my ROM and Phuket.
During dinner last night, Chenyi told me that our pictures are too small on our invites, not enough emphasis on us. I told her it is what we wanted. If possible, I hope the main wedding will not be too high-key. Ba doesn't like too much fame and glory while Barui welcomes them. That is the main difference between our hubbys. On another note, seeing her big belly, I felt a bit scared, and the klutz in me warned that I better be careful around her.
And Ba has yet another 'new' car! We welcome back to our life... Tisa! Tisal's cousin. haha. She is a Toyata Altis but pearly white colour. This time I didn't quarrel with him about the car. Welcome welcome....more savings on petrol cost = more contributions to Marriage and Peak funds!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home