Saturday, June 05, 2010

Parents and Responsibilities

I received an early call from one of the parents whose child is attending our creative camp.

Me: Good Morning, how can I help?

Mother: Good morning. Is this the Writer's camp? My son has arrived already.

Me: Yes, this is the Creative Camp. Registration will start at 9.00am.

Mother: Yes, my son is outside the library now. Can you come and collect him?

Me: I'm sorry Mdm. I'm in my office now. The library will only start admitting at 9.00am. The best I can do is to call my colleagues who are at the camp to see if they have arrived yet.

Mother: U MEAN U WANT MY CHILD TO WAIT OUTSIDE ALONE FOR 30 MINs?

Me: I'm not saying that your child must wait for 30 mins. But it was clearly stated that we only start registration at 9am. All I can do now is to call up my colleagues and see if there have arrived. If they are there, I will ask them to meet up with your child!
(WHAT DO you mean by I want your child to wait alone for 30 min? It is YOU who want your child to wait for 30 mins alone lor! HMPH!)

Mother: You must understand that I have to fetch my daughter to somewhere else and after that, I will need to rush to work! Now my son is standing all alone outside the library with NOTHING to occupy him!
(Then make some alternative arrangements or at least have the courtesy of informing us in advance so that we can look out for your child.)

Me: I totally understand. But you must also understand that our registration will only commence at 9am so my colleagues still have some preparation and setting up to do once they arrive at 8.45am. But since your son is already there, I will find out if they can meet your son at the entrance.

Mother: I really appreciate that. Can you sms me once he is safe inside?

Me: Don't worry, we will do that.

I dislike her tone of blaming me straight away for letting his child wait outside. It is the responsibilities of the parents that the child is not left waiting alone, vulnerable to unseen dangers. Do not blame others if you are not responsible enough to make alternative arrangements for your child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home