Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Guilty

A little girl came home from school with a drawing she'd made in class. She danced into the kitchen, where her mother was preparing dinner.
'Mom, guess what?' she squealed, waving the drawing.
Her mother never looked up.
'What?' she said, tending to the pots.
'Guess what?' the child repeated, waving the drawing.
'What?' the mother said, tending to the plates.
'Mom, you're not listening.'
'Sweetie, yes I am.'
'Mom,' the child said, 'you're not listening with your eyes.'

-- Taken from Mitch Albom's book, Have A Little Faith - A True Story.

When I read this today, I felt so guilty. In the past, I used to be a good listener. Now, I just 'hmmm', 'uh-huh', 'ok... then?' This is especially true when I feel so tired and preoccupied by work... and other emo stuff.

If only people are able to listen to others rather than doing (or thinking) of their own affairs. I'm sure the world will be a better place. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home