Friday, February 23, 2007

CNY Highlights

除夕
As usual, I had steamboat with my family. A happy affair, but I guessed we ate a bit too fast. Mom being mom... placed too much emphasis on making sure that we are full and not on the experience of eating itself. Thus, we were full in an hour's time. 弟and I decorated our house and prepared the ang baos while the whole family watched tv to snort in the Year of the Boar.

年初一
This day is always filled with 'tradition'. Why do I say that? Cos, as per tradition, we visit 大伯's house first. When u have a huge family like mine (my dad has 9 siblings) and all squeezed into a 3-room flat, you will really feel 'suffocated' when u enter the house. All eyes turned to u as u entered the house. Ever since we were kids,
弟 and I were taught to greet each of the relatives, cousins, new spouses and girlfriends. So, we walked around greeting them, shaking hands, offering our well-wishes. “恭喜发财!” “新年快!” then 弟 and I went to stand at exactly the same place we had stood a year ago... a corner where it is 'off-the road' so that we won't block anyone who wants to maneuver around.
The whole family came to my house after visiting 四叔's. Gambled a bit with my cousins. It would always dawn on me at this point...how Chinese New Year had changed over the years. When we were kids, my cousins would want to stay for a longer period of time - playing catching (Police n Thieves), cycling, kicking balls (right.... I hang out with my guy cousins more, much to the dismay of my aunts who insisted I should be feminine). We had so much fun that they would ask their parents to go home first while they stayed. Now they can't wait to get it over and done with. Cos we have all grown up and lead separate lives now and keeping a distance from each other?
My day ended with a visit to my granny's house. This year, we did not manage to see TBH. Felt kind of weird. Cos he's just.... always there! But this year he went visiting somewhere else by the time bro and I reached granny's.

年初二
This yr was a bit different. Cos in the morning, I went to visit Ba's family and went visiting with them instead. It was a dilemma at first, as traditionally, I would visit 二伯's house (though last yr, we went to the hospital to visit him) and I also dun wanna send the wrong signal to anyone (visiting with bf = wifey behaviour = steady relationship, confirm ROM). On the other hand, my cousin's action of including his gf in his 拜年 activities make me wanna put in the effort to be a better gf to Ba. Jun offered me the advise of visiting the side where there are more $$ to collect (a very typical Jun thing to do) hahaha. Jun and her continuous streams of 'evil plans' much to our amusement. Ok...maybe her advise DID help me a teeny-weeny bit...hahaha....but I finally decided to go ahead with it and see how it goes. In the end, it wasn't that bad (not the money part k, jun!) and everything was fine. As usual, KH thinks tooooo much! Ba also came to my house and things are looking up for us! :)

年初三
Met my TWG for ktv and reunion dinner. Had fun despite the pounding headache that I woke up with (due to the paramount stress the previous day?!). The funniest incident was when Maiddy sang "Sex Bomb"... Can almost hear her go "
Sexbomb sexbomb youre a sexbomb
, You can give it to me when I need to come along....". It was so hilarious! N she knows the whole song!! *faint. N the guys can't stand it when the girls swwooon over Fahrenheit (wei, we are 23 liao le!!but Wu Zun is cuteee!!) with James kept insisting that they are gay. hahaha. Another sign of aging: The songs that we like are classified by us as "老歌".

之后呢。。。
Think I'll be starting work again soon. Completed my medical checkup on wed. Been playing real hard these few days. Living life to the fullest. Enjoying the urban life as well as sand, sun and sea! Meeting Gazebooers for reunion dinner later! =) Hope it'll be a gd TGIF for everyone at work! *winks*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home